Thursday, July 28, 2011

Are you related to John Milte?






A different post today as we head into Family History Month here at Yarra Plenty Regional Library - I recently purchased an orphan photograph from Savers, Greensborough, Victoria - resting alone among the picture frames - how could I leave him there, especally when I noticed a name actually pencilled on the back - John Milte. The style of the hand coloured photograph and the clothes he wore suspected that this might be World War 2 era.

We found John listed in the National Archives of Australia with his servicerecord digitised. A small thumbnail image in the file looks very much like our man.

The service file revealed that John Milte, born 26 Jan 1926 at Karoonda, South Australia. He was a postal assistant from Murray Bridge. He enlisted into the RAAF in Aug 1944 as a Trainee Telegraphist and was stationed at Point Cook then Darwin as a Leading Air Craftsman in the Telegraphs department. He never went further than Darwin and was discharged in May 1946. His father was Victor Yestin Milte and mother was Bridget Honora Rowland.

I have searched unsuccessfully in the Ryerson Index for a death notice. I found a possible reference in TROVE for a John Milne living in Katherine, Northern Territory in 1949.

I have searched the Victorian death index 1921-1985 with no result.

Where to from here:
Search South Australian death historical indexes and other states.
Search for a Milte family history researcher
Post the photo elsewhere online such as Flickr and Dead Fred or send to Australian Family Tree Connections

An interesting postscript to this is that I have the name ROWLAND in my own family history. I do not have Bridget Honora Rowland in my records but will also follow up the Rowland side.

I look forward to hearing from anyone related to John Milte.

No comments: